3.1 29
2002, 2004, 2006, 2007
(Updated: October 05, 2008)
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

I have stayed here in 2002, 2004, 2006 and 2007. Previously I have stayed two months or longer each year. Prices have gone up, but without corresponding improvements, (with the exception that in 2007 SVC was purchasing used travel trailers to rent). 'Value' has tended to decline with price increases over the years. Result being that in 2007 stayed only one month. I haven't seen any comments on the sites themselves so I would like to caution any first-timers that this camp is essentially built on a swamp with probably a permafrost base, and approximately 24 to 30 inches of local gravel on top. Underbrush conceals the drop off between the first few middle row drive thru sites. Make a wide turn or you may bury the drivers side wheels of your towed RV. I helped pull a 5th wheel out in 2004. Best to visit before August as rates are $10.00 until water is available at all the sites. The staff is helpful, but employs primarily teenage girls who seldom slow down on their camp inspections when driving the 4 wheelers provided. Stayed in the back-in sites in 2007, (road to the left when entering) Wind storm blew down a small tree blocking the path to the restrooms/showers/laundry, - finally had to get my saw out and clear the path myself after four days of climbing over it. Moose cow and calf are an annual event. Moose cows (as most wild animals) are protective of their young. Cautioned four or five campers at 2:00am (still light out in July) who were fearlessly within 20 feet of momma and calf, - that taking flash photo's might result in an aggressive reaction. Fortunately no one was hurt,, Being stomped by 'Bull Winkle' would undoubtedly make the trip to Alaska less memorable for someone, -(as the man who was killed while attempting to enter a university of Alaska building found out). Camp location and wildlife are fantastic, base facilities are excellent. (North Pole, Fairbanks) great eating sightseeing and shopping. Another nice-to-see, is the primitive camp. Exit the fam-camp and turn right. (Road conditions vary according to weather and military traffic). Best thing about Eielson are the genuinely friendly and helpful people both on and off base!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 4 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or