3.6 72
Colorado 99391
April/May 2012
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

J.M. left this review using the Directory software: - Buckley AFB Famcamp is a brand new camp that opened 1 April 2012 and it certainly has some positives (i.e. location, FHU sites, FREE LAUNDRY, etc …) but also some negatives ($22/night, barren sites, very noisy …). We stayed a week in April/May and would stay again if we need to visit Denver. So, first the pros. (1) Location, location, location. The camp is only 17 miles (under 30min) from downtown Denver with Coors Field (baseball), the Denver Mint, etc. It was a great location for touring Denver. We even found a great Moroccan restaurant just a few miles down E. Mississippi Ave. Yummy. (2) Everything at the camp is brand new. There are concrete pads at each site; all are FHU with 50A/30A, water and sewer. Our site was nicely level. All the roads in the camp are paved and it was easy to maneuver our MH. We saw big 5th wheels being pulled by Semi’s easily maneuvering around too. (3) The bathrooms and laundry were very clean (i.e. brand-new). Both the showers and the laundry were FREE. No quarters required!! (2 new LG washers and 2 new LG dryers). (4) The E. Mississippi Ave gate (aka the south gate) where you must enter with your RV is the only gate that stays open 7x24. So we used it all the time, every time. The “main” gate at Aspen St off of E 6th Avenue and also the BX/ Commissary gate at Telluride St off E 6th Avenue are both closed nights and at other times. (5) While there is no dog walk area designated (no off-leash), there were doggie bags provided at a couple of locations. There is a walking / exercise trail that runs next to the camp and parallels the road back to the main gate. (6) While this is a small-ish base, there is a medium sized commissary and BX, 7x24 gas station (sorry, no diesel), car wash, a pharmacy and fitness center. Now for the cons. (1) it’s $22 a night. Bit pricey. (2) Right now there is no landscaping at the camp – it is frankly barren; a gently sloping hillside with tall rye grass planted everywhere to stabilize the slope in this just completed facility. The grass was 9” to 24” tall. No trees or shrubs had yet been planted in the sites. The camp is next to a pond run by Outdoor Recreation with some trees and a bigger/older restroom that was still “closed for the season”. (3) It’s noisy. The camp is right next to the main runway and the “sound of freedom” can be literally deafening. When the F-16s taxi to the the start, warm-up and then take off, they are just over a berm from the camp. If they are headed away - the ground shakes, the air quakes and the RV rattles. Frankly, the noise was louder here than it was during night ops down at Pensacola. The good news is that there were fewer jets operating here than at Pensacola. And on the other side of the camp is the Joint Services Sportsman club (AKA the gun range). Skeet /trap shooters start sometimes at 6:30am and run until dark. So, park your rig and go touring. (4) I had a little trouble getting hold of the staff in the Outdoor Recreation office. Called a few times to make a reservation, left messages but then when I did get a call back they were extremely polite and friendly and helpful. They do ask you to pay up-front for your entire stay when you make the reservation. Then when I showed up with my USAF Frequent Camper book and a free night’s coupon – they stamped the book and cheerfully gave me a refund for the coupon. (5) Currently there is no camp host on site. You do business at the Outdoor Recreation office which is 2.3 miles and is closed Sundays. Still, all in all, a nice place and we will return.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 3 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or
Cron Job Starts