Review Detail

4.2 83
25-28 May 2009
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

We drove up from MacDill's Famcamp, arrived here some 330 miles later. Camp had just closed and we checked in at the designated host's site, a guy named Ray. Could not have been any nicer!! Introduced him self right away. I explained we needed to have wi-fi and a satellite connection, and he immediately told us their wi-fi was down temporarily, but would hopefully be back up as early as tomorrow. As to satellite, he said they had free cable and I was free to pick any site I thought I could hit the satellites with on my rooftop dish, and then he said "let's take a ride". He showed me the entire place, and I picked a site, and then said just to see the office tomorrow when they were open and sign up. Did that, and the Hostess-Manager also was terrific..apologized for lack of wi-fi, and said she had it at her trailer and we could sit on her chairs in her yard anytime. Also offered to let us use the office, although there was a weak signal from her trailer. Decided to go to Starbucks for free wi-fi, about 5-6 miles west on US-98, just across the street from Wal*Mart. Wal*Mart is on the LEFT heading west on US98, Starbucks is on the RIGHT across the street from Wal*Mart. A bit noisy as there are lots of F-15 and F-22 fighter missions going on, but hey, its the Air Force, so not a problem for us. Lots of trees, so satellite TV will be difficult, but cable works OK. Rooftop antenna for digital HD only brought in the local two channels, WKHG-7-NBC and WMBB-13-NBC. You'll need cable for CBS WTVY in Dothan AL and for the other usual Cable stuff. Fox, CNN, ESPN, etc. Good system - about 70 channels. The Main Base is to the east about 2 miles from the FamCamp on US98.....easy to get around. The Main Base is to the right (South) on US98, and the runways and Mission part of the base is on the left (North). BX and Commissary are good, and are on the Main Base. Camp is a little weather beaten, perhaps a little old, but community building is open 24/7 and is very nice, and bathrooms are tiled, A/C, nice showers, and very clean. The people are really terrific. My hat's off to Ray, the other man in the office and the Manager. Great people - would stay here again in a heartbeat!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or