• Page:

TOPIC: FL - Don't take reservations/take reservations?

FL - Don't take reservations/take reservations? 1 week 3 days ago #16482

• Sealeburg
  • Sealeburg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Taking off for FL in a few days, have 2 weeks at Mayport lined up. We try year after year to get reservations at MacDill, call Oct. 1, but nada. We really would like to stay for a week or so at Patrick, but again, were told they do NOT take reservations, first come, first served. What happens if you go to Patrick and there's no room? Where do you go? We've previously stayed in, Mayport, Pensacola (Blue Angel Park), Destin Army Recreation, etc. but are told, even when calling early, that they are full. Anyone have any advice for us? Any campgrounds to check? Due to family circumstances (elderly parent) we have to sometimes wing RV traveling, but are totally confused as to how some Florida military campgrounds 'work' availability-wise. Guess we've been spoiled by being relatively close to the Hampton Roads area where you can actually make reservations and they try to accommodate short term visitors as well! Thanks for any words of advice for this winter!

FL - Don't take reservations/take reservations? 1 week 2 days ago #16483

• floridakamper
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
I hear you. Those of us that live and RV in Florida are blessed and cursed. You've pretty much got to plan a year out and be very lucky to get a winter reservation at a military campground or our Florida State Parks. These days I'm not a risk taker. I probably don't have the heart to just show up at places that don't take reservations. I got lucky and got one week at Mayport in Feb.

The good news for us is off season it's pretty easy to spontaneously decide to go someplace.... Jacksonville to Key West.

I may know of a RV spot in a 55+ park in Fort Myers, near the beach that has the month of March and April available. If that would help you, send a private message. Good luck to you. There are always in season cancellations. While you're at Mayport, work the phones or something might open up at the Roost or Osprey while you're there. Safe travels... Bob

FL - Don't take reservations/take reservations? 1 week 2 days ago #16484

• floridakamper
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
And if you like N.E. Florida weather, don't forget to check Kings Bay, NAS Jacksonville and Camp Blanding. :)

FL - Don't take reservations/take reservations? 1 week 2 days ago #16485

• bgarrison
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I don't believe that famcamps should take reservations, period, unless it is from active duty. Rv-ers should have to show up and get whatever site is available. We went to Nellis in October and there appeared to be many empty sites, but they were reserved, so could not be rented to us for a few nights. This should not happen. Show up and pay. Davis Monthan has a good system that seems fair. So does Yuma Proving Grounds. Nellis could make a few sites - maybe 1/3 - available for reservation but pay up front for the entire season ( keeping those who reserve "just in case" from messing it up for the rest of us), but most sites should be first come, first served.

FL - Don't take reservations/take reservations? 1 week 9 hours ago #16490

• rtdavew
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
We called MacDill on our way over from the week before Christmas and they had several spaces available which we could have to two weeks (we only stayed 8 days) Have to admit we have been pretty lucky going the first come first serve route. Have gotten spaces at Mayport, Keesler and Laughlin without reservations. We just try to call in the morning and ask what it looks like.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.290 seconds