Scenic Routes- What's your opinion?

• skyking8
  • skyking8's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
11 years 5 months ago #1619 by skyking8
Scenic Routes- What's your opinion? was created by skyking8
In my RV travels around the country, I have most likely, and sadly, missed more scenic drives than I've experienced because I didn't know about them.

As a result of having just driven thru an extremely scenic route in NM - Hwy 64 from Raton to Taos - I had the idea that members of this website forum might wish to list their favorite scenic routes. As a matter of fact, it might be a seperate forum topic of its own. WebMaster, what do you think??

The beauty of America should be shared.
More
11 years 5 months ago #1621 by Navyzone
Replied by Navyzone on topic Scenic Routes- What's your opinion?
I vote for an obvious choice. California State Route 1. From north to south, with a big emphasis on the Big Sur south of Monterey.
More
11 years 5 months ago #1627 by cdrcos
Replied by cdrcos on topic Scenic Routes- What's your opinion?
Through the San Juan Mountains in Colorado; from Cortez to Ridgeway on Highway 145 and then 62 - This one is great in the fall when the aspens are changing!

The Peak to Peak loop from Estes Park, Colorado through Rocky Mt. NP, south to Granby, Winter Park, and Empire, then east on I-70 to Idaho springs and back north to Estes Park via Blackhawk, Central City, Nederland, etc. We did this drive this summer and it was beautiful. (I wouldn't want to try it with a large RV since you go over the Trail Ridge (14,000+') in RMNP and also Berthoud Pass (also14,000+ feet) and a lot of hairpin turns.

Joe & Barb
2016 Winnebago Vista 31KE
Shoreview, Minnesota
Sun City Center, Florida
More
11 years 5 months ago #1628 by mkebikecop
Replied by mkebikecop on topic Scenic Routes- What's your opinion?
We always set our GPS to avoid freeways and move the default higher on state & local highways.

You would be suprised how many scenic & small towns that you will stop in just to look around

"Battles are sometimes won by generals; wars are nearly always won by sergeants and privates."
-F.E. Adcock, British classical scholar
  • christhebigfoot2000
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
11 years 5 months ago #1631 by christhebigfoot2000
Replied by christhebigfoot2000 on topic Scenic Routes- What's your opinion?
Sadly as the pilot of a 40' DP with a toad behind it, I don't get to see much of the scenery unless it is on the Interstate System where much of our travel is from point A to point B. If we are doing "scenic routes" we have landed and will be in our toad...not a good height to be doing scenic routes.

Chris the Bigfoot
2001 40' American Dream
2000 Merc Mountaineer
DataStorm User # 1226
More
11 years 5 months ago #1641 by oldchief46
Replied by oldchief46 on topic Scenic Routes- What's your opinion?
I drive a diesel pusher and tow a car and stay off the interstate highways as much as possible. You really don't see much of this country on the interstate. Give me a good two lane highway anytime.

A great scenic highway is from Rogers, AR, to Eureka Springs, AR. You won't do it at interstate highway speed but it is beautiful. It is up and down with a lot of curves. If you have an exhaust break it is recommended you run it the whole way. We went to Eureka Springs that way last November with our 36 foot rig with my brother in his 40 footer right behind us. Since we have friends that live there I'm sure we'll do it again.

We're leaving in mid-September for the east coast. We'll take I-40 as far as Memphis but then I've routed our trip on the back roads for the rest of the way to Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia and then wind up in Greensboro, NC, before heading back toward Oklahoma.

Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com
More
11 years 5 months ago #1652 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Scenic Routes- What's your opinion?
Try Hwy 50 along the Arkansas River in Colorado -- very good two lane highway, no problem for large RV's ... lots of camping along the river too, although some of the sites will be too small for large RV's -- others will be fine -- it's a great ride tho!!
More
11 years 5 months ago #1666 by bblhed
Replied by bblhed on topic Scenic Routes- What's your opinion?
Maybe it is just because I live in New England, but we have a lot of 4 lane blacktop around here that offers some scenic views. I would like to sedgiest that if you have a choice of connector roads, try the State Highway instead of the Interstate.

In Connecticut I recommend Rt. 8 (this can be a nice ride, but it does go through some urban areas)
Route 9 is also a really nice ride as well.

In Florida I recommend 417 (Off the beaten path and worth the toll to avoid the traffic of I-4)
More
10 years 6 months ago #3759 by cheldreth
Replied by cheldreth on topic Scenic Routes- What's your opinion?
Well, I am a confirmed East Coaster, but my trip up the northern California and Oregon coasts on 101 provided the finest scenery I have been blessed to see.

Curt

Curt Heldreth
Retired US Army
Retired HS Teacher
Copilot: Mary, NC Guardian ad Litem
Activities Director: Roscoe the Beagle
2006 Bounder 35E
2010 Malibu LS
More
10 years 6 months ago #3761 by DutchStar38
Replied by DutchStar38 on topic Scenic Routes- What's your opinion?
We just finished a trip from Sarasota,Fla to Newport,R.I. Our route was rather unusual because my brother-in-law was traveling by boat. So we docked at every marina possible as they moved. If you look and the ICW traveling up the East coast by boat is pretty simple but to attempt to tag along on the roadways makes for some interesting travel down roads that the RV barely fit on at times. We did a lot of dry camping in the marina parking lots, with their permission of course. We also did truck stops, MCG and commercial CG when marinas wouldn't allow us on property. It was a very interesting trip. We are currently back in Florida and when they decide to start their return we will venture out again to tag along on their way home.
More
10 years 6 months ago #3769 by Chancellor
Replied by Chancellor on topic Scenic Routes- What's your opinion?
Smoky Mountain Highway in the fall and Rt. 66 anytime!
More
10 years 6 months ago #3779 by monkey44
Replied by monkey44 on topic Scenic Routes- What's your opinion?
Right on -- Smokey Mountain Highway all the way to the north end, Skyline Drive ....... now that is about as beautiful as it gets in the eastern part of the USA ... particularly in the Fall --
  • richardcooper101
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
10 years 6 months ago #3789 by richardcooper101
Replied by richardcooper101 on topic Scenic Routes- What's your opinion?
My recommendation is Highway 20, The North Cascade Highway, in Washington State.
More
10 years 5 months ago #3974 by Mad Dog
Replied by Mad Dog on topic Scenic Routes- What's your opinion?
Rt 2 Maine & N.H. in late Sept and early Oct!!
More
10 years 5 months ago #3975 by FastEagle
Replied by FastEagle on topic Scenic Routes- What's your opinion?
Being from Maine I'll sort of second that Mad Dog. US1 to Calais then ME9 over to Bangor then US2 into NH. Great sight seeing all along the way.

FastEagle

2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC
More
10 years 5 months ago #3980 by Mad Dog
Replied by Mad Dog on topic Scenic Routes- What's your opinion?
FastEagle have you tried Rt 11 from Medway to Fort Kent? It's nice in the fall and relaxing to drive, very little traffic most of the time. I'm from Maine also. Born and raised!!
More
10 years 5 months ago #3982 by FastEagle
Replied by FastEagle on topic Scenic Routes- What's your opinion?
I lived in Old Town when I was a teenager and have been all along ME11 on hunting and fishing trips. Also was up that way with my rig a few years ago.

FastEagle

2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC
More
10 years 5 months ago #4083 by sdianel
Replied by sdianel on topic Scenic Routes- What's your opinion?
West Virginia! We just added I-77 N. through Bluefield and I-77 tollway to Beckley where we turned onto US-19. We stayed at Lake Summersville COE. Beautiful! The road to the park is a bit steep and a little windy in a couple of places, but it's wide and good. Lots of motorhomes there. We continued up US 19 to connect with I-79 into PA. Crossed the New River Gorge and stopped at the visitor center to check out the bridge. Once parked, we went by toad to Cass Scenic RR and took the train. Saw a bear cub cross the road! (where was mama???). We definitely will come back to WV!! Country Roads......
More
10 years 5 months ago #4148 by gbherman
Replied by gbherman on topic Scenic Routes- What's your opinion?
the most scenic drive I have been on is from Red Lodge Mont to the North entrance of Yellowstone Park. It was one the the picks by Charles Curwalt of the top 10 scenic drives of America.
More
9 years 6 months ago #6346 by lapster
Replied by lapster on topic Scenic Routes- What's your opinion?
State Highway 50 through southern Nevada. It bills itself accurately as "America's Loneliest Road". Longest stretch without services is 83 miles. The road has US Forest Service access roads coming off of Hiway 50 with 20 miles or more to the "forest" from the highway 50. The access roads are "scrapped" dirt with the longest distance being 57 miles one way. Boondocking only, but talk about being alone in the wilderness. lapster
Time to create page: 0.370 seconds