TOPIC: OK, first cross country from NC to CA,

OK, first cross country from NC to CA, 2 years 3 months ago #14551

• Tarheel06
  • Tarheel06's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Dear Seasoned travelers
Hubby and I are setting out July 6 to see teen granddaughters in National Rodeo Competition in Gillette, Wy. have that spot reserved for a week. Now on the way, like to see Nashville and Memphis Tn, Branson Mo, through Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota. After leaving them, on to National Pks and areas down to SF and LA, where my sister lives. Then of course back home, maybe via a slightly southern trek. If anyone likes offering suggestions to include in our search of where to stay, I would love to hear from you. We have 37" motorhome, towing a Camry on toad. Thanks to all that want to help us on this first long trek..
Happy Easter!

Toni, spouse Unit
Last Edit: by Tarheel06.

OK, first cross country from NC to CA, 2 years 3 months ago #14552

• LamSan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 65
We have stayed at the Americas Best Campground in Branson many times and have always been pleased with the sites and staff will help with tickets and anything else you may require.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarheel06

OK, first cross country from NC to CA, 2 years 3 months ago #14553

• greyhound73772
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 44
The KOAs in Salina and WaKeeney, KS are good overnight stops off I-70. If not on the Interstate, a lot of the smaller towns in Kansas have RV hookups in their parks.

OK, first cross country from NC to CA, 2 years 3 months ago #14554

• Tarheel06
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Good to know, had not a clue about Kansas..

OK, first cross country from NC to CA, 2 years 3 months ago #14555

• Tarheel06
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Wondered..some reviews were not kind...

OK, first cross country from NC to CA, 2 years 3 months ago #14557

• djenson
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
You could make reservations and stay at McConnell AFB at Wichita, KS for $18.00 a night. Look them up on this website under the facilities tab at the top.

OK, first cross country from NC to CA, 2 years 3 months ago #14566

• Drillagent
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
From Branson, you can go north on Hwy 65 to Springfield and the HQ of Bass Pro Shops. Must see if you're into that sort of thing. Continue north up Hwy 13 and you'll pass Osceola Cheese Company in Osceola, Mo. Great place for lots of flavored cheeses with plenty of samples. RV parking. Lots of campgrounds in and around Kansas City. You can stop at Ft Leavenworth for supplies if needed. Lots to do. Kansas City BBQ (must get the burnt ends), WW I museum, among other attractions. Follow I-29 north from KC to Sioux Falls, SD and catch I-90 west. Along I-90 you'll come across the famous Wall Drug. If you go on across, the famcamp on Ellsworth AFB at Rapid City, SD is about 30 min from Mount Rushmore. Keep following I-90 and you'll come close enough to Devil's Tower to make a stop before getting to Gillette. Couple of apps that I've found to be almost indispensable for finding campgrounds, fuel, and route planning are Allstays Camp and RV, and inRoute. Also good are GasBuddy and iExit. If you have any other questions, let me know.

OK, first cross country from NC to CA, 2 years 3 months ago #14567

• Tarheel06
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
This is so helpful, gave us so many other great things to include in our trip to Wy Rodeo, then on to National Parks, on the way to California..

Many thanks,
Toni, spouse unit

OK, first cross country from NC to CA, 2 years 3 weeks ago #14768

• Tweedro
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Quick note on the San Francisco area, if you're thinking about going to Alcatraz, get your tickets now. These tickets are sold out months in advance.

OK, first cross country from NC to CA, 2 years 2 weeks ago #14778

• skyking8
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
Don't be surprised. No one else "has a clue" about Kansas, either. ;) Find a Corp of Engineer CG in that state that you might be happy with.

As a matter of fact, you might want to get an America the Beautiful pass (which offers discount CG fees) and put more COE campgrounds on your list.

Check this site out for reviews of any likely places you would want to use. www.rvparkreviews.com/
Last Edit: by skyking8.

OK, first cross country from NC to CA, 2 years 6 days ago #14804

• Marvsi12
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Please tell us about your trip when you get home. and don't forget some photos. The wife and I want to take the western trip next spring. Were also leaving out of N.C. Were guessing 45 days to see the western parks.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.427 seconds