• Page:

TOPIC: Are 100% service connected given reduced rates?

Are 100% service connected given reduced rates? 2 years 2 months ago #14815

• parrish
  • parrish's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello, my Wife and I have just started camping in Ohio and do not have to pay for a site here in our home state. We would like to expand our camping options, and are now looking at utilizing the camping facilities at bases in other states. Would appreciate any information regarding any reduced rates for other state park camping, as well as military installations. I am a USAF Veteran 1969/1973 with a 100% service connected disability. In advance thank you for any information and guidance.

Chuck and Laurie Parrish

Are 100% service connected given reduced rates? 2 years 2 months ago #14816

• monkey44
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 101
You'll have to check each state and each base individually.

National Parks give free admission and discounted camping for America Beautiful Access pass (Get it at any NP) Disabled get a lifetime pass, free. You need proof, so bring your letters.

Some states (Oregon, Texas, Florida) give discounts, and some states charge extra for out of state campers (S Dakota, Wisc, Ind. etc) ...

Some bases give a discount for the NP Access pass (you should get one) ...

Genie and I are creating a state x state accounting of which states give veterans discounts, and which do not -- also, which states charge extra "day-use" fees on top of the camping fees. Day fees are a new method to collect additional revenue from out-of-state travelers. We'll post our results here when we finish the listings ...
Last edit: by monkey44.

Are 100% service connected given reduced rates? 2 years 2 months ago #14817

• LamSan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 65
Many years ago we got a discount at some of the military campgrounds as my husband has a 100% service connected disability but those have gone to wayside and cannot recall any military campground we have gotten a discount at in the last several years even when asking about it.

Are 100% service connected given reduced rates? 2 years 2 months ago #14819

• cmawest
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
no !

Are 100% service connected given reduced rates? 2 years 2 months ago #14820

• monkey44
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Please do not jump to conclusions guys, unless you have been there and asked at every one !

We just left Ft Benning GA last week - the MCG at Benning gives 20% off to Disabled vets! We camped there in May and in July, got discount both times. Regular site rate - FHU - $23, with discount - $18 ...

That's only one example - you have to ask at the base. IF you don't ask, you won't know.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cruzman75

Are 100% service connected given reduced rates? 2 years 2 months ago #14821

• LamSan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
When camping at Ft. Benning we get the discount for Golden Age Passport and pay $18.00 and did not know they give for 100% service connected disability even though discount is the same; thanks for letting us know Monkey.

Are 100% service connected given reduced rates? 2 years 2 months ago #14824

• monkey44
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I suggest anyone that can get one, to go to a NP and get the access pass. That's how some bases determine a veteran is also a disabled vet. Most of us don't carry the letters around in our wallets - and it offers proof that we hvae been at one point, vetted as a disabled vet (or disabled in some other fashion)...

IF you prove disabled, you get the ATB card with a wheel-chair on it, if you aren't, then you get the standard card.

I do know for certain, Benning accepts the ATB access card and gives the discount. I'm not sure what other proof is required at other bases, but I do know for certain (Can't recall each one, off-hand) gives discounts. So, the best idea -- ask at each one if you want a discount. Worst case, get a "no" ...
Last edit: by monkey44.

Are 100% service connected given reduced rates? 2 years 1 month ago #14830

• DA TOAD
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
What is this "NP" that some are referring to? :blush:

Are 100% service connected given reduced rates? 2 years 1 month ago #14831

• JJnLilly
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Believe it is National Park.

Are 100% service connected given reduced rates? 2 years 1 month ago #14833

• dubob
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
Hill AFB FamCamp in Utah does NOT offer a discount to disabled Veterans.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 76 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich

Are 100% service connected given reduced rates? 2 years 1 month ago #14838

• monkey44
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Yes, NP = national parks ... if you get the pass, it will get you discounts some places other than national parks. Some state parks honor it too. Some military CG's honor it ...

But if you don't get it, well, you can't get the discounts anywhere? It's probably one of the best camping values available today.

Are 100% service connected given reduced rates? 2 years 1 month ago #14841

• LamSan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Just a quick note here; I should have reminded all of you who have the Golden Age Passport (got ours in 99')that it is good for life so no need to replace it with the new America The Beautiful card.

Are 100% service connected given reduced rates? 2 years 1 month ago #14842

• dubob
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37

LamSan wrote: Just a quick note here; I should have reminded all of you who have the Golden Age Passport (got ours in 99')that it is good for life so no need to replace it with the new America The Beautiful card.

As are the Access Passes (Free for lifetime with documentation of permanent disability, U.S. citizens and permanent residents).
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 76 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich

Are 100% service connected given reduced rates? 2 years 4 weeks ago #14952

• Garmp
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
monkey44, please let me know when your list is complete and posted and/or how I might get such. Hopefully this does include state parks, COE and NP's.
We were in Ohio last year and camped at East Harbor State Park. Mentioned that I am on 100% disability and were given a free site as long as we wanted. Further down the state on our return trip home another Ohio State Park gave us a 10% discount. Not that I'm complaining, don't get me wrong, but is there no consistency? Good luck on you list.
Thanks you

Are 100% service connected given reduced rates? 2 years 3 weeks ago #14956

• LamSan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Unfortunately for all of us what discounts we received last year and prior years at any and all types of RV Parks/Camping Facilities change periodically. This website is a good example of how rates and discounts change and keep Larry busy updating the info we provide to him. The good old telephone call is your best friend and making a note of who you talked to and when goes a long way when you arrive at the facility. We will ask them to send us an email of the rates and discounts quoted if it is different from what is in a camping book or on their website.

Are 100% service connected given reduced rates? 2 years 2 weeks ago #14984

• Tomas498
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
The NP America the Beautiful pass is good for life, does not require 100% disability, and is easy to get by showing your VA rating letter & photo ID. You can get them via the mail, or in person.

store.usgs.gov/pass/access.html

Here in Texas, it requires a 60% VA rating for the Texas Parks Pass (and, I believe, it is not required that you be a Texas resident to get.)

tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/park-informat...-parklands-passport-

San Luis Pass county park (right on the Gulf), Brazoria County Texas (island south of Galveston Texas) provides disabled veterans a 50% discount.

brazoriacountytx.gov/departments/parks-department/san-luis-pass

A lot of these I've found before at the big RV shows by asking around.
Last edit: by Tomas498.

Are 100% service connected given reduced rates? 1 year 2 months ago #16130

• Swim-bike-run-1
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Nice topic!

As another V.A. 100%er (most hated group on military campgrounds as were the best paid) as well as a Floridian resident I've heard with my Florida state park pass (acquired for free without V.A. Letter-just showed my DoD ID card at ft zack Tyler in key west)
State park camping was free??? Have yet to see this...

Florida does also give free fishing/hunting license (all the ad-ons I.e. Lobster/fowl/boar) which I enjoy gratefully! It's also gotten me outta drama from FWC (Florida wildlife conservation) as they give "silent shake" pretty fast as long as you're not doing anything wrong to those presenting papers as opposed to those without disabled veteran credentials...in Florida they'll take you to jail for fishing without a license, much less doing stupid stuff...

Natl parks disabled pass saved me hundreds, or hundred a year as I'd buy an annual if uncle sugar didn't provide me one as a perk. Never gotten a discount on camping as I've only bicycle toured/camped thru natl parks, which is $5 a nite at most natl parks for bicyclists.

California Monterey veterans park (non military campground) gives a 1/3 discount on camping, it shares fence with defense language institute up on the hill, closest camping to downtown Monterey California.

Are 100% service connected given reduced rates? 1 year 2 months ago #16139

• The Roo
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
My understanding is that Ky doesnt charge 100% disabled for overnight stays.

Are 100% service connected given reduced rates? 1 year 2 months ago #16140

• Garmp
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
We were outside of Sandusky Ohio a couple of years ago at East Harbor SP and weren't charged. Didn't have reservations, but were told to select a campsite and stay as long as you want (up to two weeks). Gratis!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.520 seconds