TOPIC: Long Term RV sites

Long Term RV sites 11 years 1 month ago #613

• MsgKlann
  • MsgKlann's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello;

I'm a Retired Veteran and located in the Upper part of Michigan.

Would like to look into a "Snow Bird" vacation during the fall and winter months
approx. late Nov thru April in a warmer climate...

Most of the RV sites I just looked into are short term...

Looking for a possible longer term rental period??

Howard F. Klann
Msg(USAR, Ret)

Re: Long Term RV sites 11 years 1 month ago #615

• Chancellor
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
It seems {if you read the Homesteders forum} that a lot of the bases are either going
to 30 day rotations or 2 weeks. Some are still out there and you will need to call and check
with them. But I am finding, Misses and I have set a long winded trip this year, that the
bases are saying that if I stay over 2 weeks I need to move to another spot if any open.

Re: Long Term RV sites 11 years 1 month ago #633

• FastEagle
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
We are currently parked at Foster Creek RV park at Goose Creek Naval Weapons Station, Goose Creek,SC. One of the questions we asked when checking-in was how long one could stay here. Currently there is no time limit and none expected to be set in the near future. The reviews in the campground section are very good. We will add to them when we leave here next week.

FastEagle
2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

Re: Long Term RV sites 11 years 1 month ago #672

• SkyWatcher
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
You may run into some last minute changes to Long Term stays at military Campgrounds, You may want to check on some Trailer parks to rent a space for short term stays and annual agreements can be made with the trailer park management

Re: Long Term RV sites 11 years 1 week ago #841

• CTMCM
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
davis-Monthan FAMCAMP in Arizona has a 6-month visit area (Agave Gulch). Price was $16 or $17/day and all 6 months paid up front without refund. Of the 140 plus sites, approximately 15 to 20 were set aside for the 6-month period. All 6-month sites had W/S/E 30-50. If you don't want to be locked into the 6-month period the "standard" stay is 21 days. If there's a waiting list you're required to go to "overflow". Overflow is without any hookups - dry camping. If no waiting list you can sign up for another 21 day period.
My wife (Sue) and I are "snow birds" too so we truly understand the "go South" syndrome when winter approaches.
See you on down the road,
David & Sue McCarron

Re: Long Term RV sites 11 years 1 week ago #842

• FastEagle
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
You're not getting much useful information with your request. So here are three recommendations that I know for sure allowed folks to spend this past winter with them. One is out west and it is NAF, El Centro, CA. The other two are in Florida. MacDill AFB, at Tampa and Camp Blanding 30 miles south of Jacksonville, FL. All require advance reservations. You can get all the needed information on each of them from other places in this web site. I have friends and acquaintances that spent this past winter at these Campgrounds.

FastEagle
2003 Everest 363K 38' 14K
2004 Dodge 3500 STL-DRW-QC-LB-2WD-4.10-AUTO-CTD
USN Retired - PDRL
DOD Retired - Aircraft Mechanic
Part Timers with sticks in SC

Re: Long Term RV sites 10 years 11 months ago #899

• allycat
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
We recently stayed four days at Maxwell Gunter recreational campground at Lake Martin, Alabama. All of the waterfront lots are taken up by permanent, i say again, permanent campers.

Lot 55 and all of the 30 series on the waterfront are taken up by people who have been there 2 to 3 years. They pay $300 per month whereas a daily rate is $15.00 per day. The problem is there are very, very, few daily lots available. Lots 52, 53, and 54, 57 and 58 are daily lots on the water and that is about all they have. The land belongs to Alabama power and light, and is leased to the airforce and is contracted by a private contractor. The contractor states that if it wasn't for the permanent residents they could not make it financially. Everyone would love to be able to live for $300 per month with water, lights, sewer and garbage included.

There are thousands and thousands of A.D. , disabled and retired veterans who are deprived of being abled to use the facility because of a few people that are taken total advantage of the situation. I feel this is a total injustice to all of the vets who would like to camp on the water but, cannot because of a selfish few. I feel this policy should be changed immediately if not sooner. Or up the rent to $600 per month per lot and do away with half of the permanent campers and increase the daily lots on the waterfront. This way they will get the same income they are getting now, and a few more vets will have daily spots to camp on the waterfront.

This subject is open for replys.

J. Troutt (cw4 retired)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Re: Long Term RV sites 10 years 9 months ago #1009

• earlhop
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
:( I agree with allycat. I stayed at the campsite a couple of years ago, and it was all taken up by the full time homesteaders. I also would like to live for $300 per month all utilities paid, on the water and living the great life at every one elses expense. The rules should be changed for these permanent people.....

Re: Long Term RV sites 10 years 9 months ago #1010

• monkey44
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 99
ALLYCAT QUOTE:I feel this policy should be changed immediately if not sooner. Or up the rent to $600 per month per lot and do away with half of the permanent campers and increase the daily lots on the waterfront --

That would certainly get the attention of the "homesteaders" ... but then if they moved, the rest of us would have a nice $600 bill instead of the $300 we're entitled. The real answer is to make a permanent policy like many bases have that forces a rotation everytime the sites get full -- then the longest "visiting campers" move out and start at the beginning of the "wait-in-line" process. Then everyone gets to use the facilitites as intended. Some may say that was not the original intent [original intent was short term housing for active] but that has gravitated to camping over the years because short-term housing took care of it self eventually. So, now we need to share this camping benefit equally -- rather than have a few selfish individuals hog the sites as if we still have the old time "sqatters rights" from the 1800's.
The following user(s) said Thank You: searl727

Re: Long Term RV sites 10 years 9 months ago #1017

• oldchief46
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I like the idea of having a limited number of days people can stay and a no reservation policy. I have had much better experience getting into parks with these policies.

Last month when we pulled into Ellsworth AFB in South Dakota they were full, as they pretty much stayed all summer. They have a 14 day stay limit and do not take reservations. We spent one night in the overflow, which had 30 amp elec and nothing else and then moved into the park. With their 14 day limit people were leaving daily as their time ran out.

Last winter, while in Florida, we stayed at three different Naval Bases. No problem getting in. We tried to stay at Mac Dill AFB in Tampa but could not get in. They allow people to stay up to six months and take reservations. The snow birds come every year and take up all the spots all winter. Before they leave for the summer they make a reservation for the next winter. Newcomers to Florida never have a chance to get into that park.

Personally, I would like to see a 30 day limit in and a required 7 to 14 days out. Also, I like the parks that do not take reservations with the number of days limit.
Rick Stone, YNC, USN(RET)
2007 Monaco Cayman XL
2006 Chevy HHR
oldchief1.blogspot.com

Long Term RV sites 1 year 6 months ago #15060

• Jimmyb12015
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Just went to Del Mar Beach Resort and I saw this order posted on their website. Action is started to be directed against those that are residing full time at their Fam Camps.
www.mccscp.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/0...ngthofstaypolice.png
The following user(s) said Thank You: larryf

Re: Long Term RV sites 1 year 6 months ago #15061

• searl727
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
We are just getting started RV'ing (retired Army) and I've been concerned we may run into this homesteading issue. What can we all do to ensure fair play by all?

Re: Long Term RV sites 1 year 6 months ago #15062

• Jimmyb12015
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
As you can tell from the topic thread this has been a problem for awhile now. It seems that a few bases have recognized it may be a problem and are starting to enforce new policies.

Long Term RV sites 1 year 6 months ago #15063

• LamSan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 65
There may be light at the end of the tunnel; in case you did not read Larry's article on the home page about "changes in housing stipends could hurt active duty living in RV parks" go back and read it and we can hope it will become active as stated.

Long Term RV sites 1 year 5 months ago #15093

• dpicard
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
I'm not convinced there is light at the end of the tunnel. I will post an update in the next month, because we are going to stay in TX again and I called to make reservations and was told half of the sites are now long term. This is a change from just a year ago. It's still all about the money and if they can get away with it at some of the places and the Commanders do not enforce the rules they will do it. The regs forbid it, but they get ignored. Campgrounds are not for long term living of Active Duty. I don't have a huge problem if they leave enough sites open for the true campers. They also need to make the long term keep their sites clean and not junked up. Plus the prices keep going up and getting close to private park rates at some which doesn't make it worth staying at to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stanbnv, greyhound73772, dubob

Long Term RV sites 1 year 5 months ago #15094

• dubob
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
+1
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 75 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich

Long Term RV sites 1 year 3 months ago #15810

• DutchStar38
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Are long term campers hogging all the premium space Station? Then write a letter to the base commander and also cc it to the Department of Defense. Unless people make it known it will not change. I have run across many bases that have LONG time campers into the years. A letter to the park manager means nothing since many times they are the ones overstepping their authority. Also convince others to write letters. Military RV parks are "Recretional" parks not home sites. Why should I have to park in the blazing hot sun jbecause a bunch of homesteaders have all the shaded sites?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.493 seconds