4.1 62
Virginia 98150
July 5 to August 5, 2009
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

I have been to 40+ military campgrounds over the past 5 years and this one is the most expensive - $480 per month or $25 per day. This is as much as the RV resort that I stay at when I winter in the Rio Grande Valley which has many more amenities than this campground (wi-fi, pool, etc.). But Virginia Beach is a popular destination in the summer and the occupancy rate is almost 100% during this time of the year. This used to be a mobile home park and is starting to revert back to that – many active duty personnel are here for periods ranging from a few months to several years. Stays of 60 days are allowed, so it easy to homestead for the entire summer. So you should have reservations when you arrive during the summer. For two days each week, Sunday and Thursday, there is no one in the office to answer the phone so you can’t make reservations on those days. And don’t arrive on those days without the key code for the security gate because no one will be in the office to open the gate. Last winter, the water pipes froze at 6 sites because the occupants did not turn off the water. Now, in August, repairs have yet to be made. But campers are willing accept these sites at the reduced rate of $20 a day and “borrow” water from adjacent sites. Like most military campgrounds, this one is a “cash cow” but money is siphoned off to pay for other things and repairs and improvements at the campground are deferred. In this case, construction at the golf course is the siphon. Since this is a Naval Air Station, the “Sound of Freedom” is heard throughout the day and into the evening. This isn’t good for an old guy like me that needs his afternoon nap. Now that I have pointed out all the negatives, here are the positives. In my opinion, this is the nicest of all the military campgrounds in this area although many prefer Dam Neck because of its proximity to the beach. Since this used to be a mobile home park, the sites are big enough for the largest RVs and spaced far apart. New electrical panels were installed. Interior roads are paved and wide. RVs are parked on concrete runners and asphalt parking spaces are there for toad or tow vehicle. When the conversion was made from mobile home park to campground, a new building was erected that houses the office, laundry, and restrooms/showers. The spaces in this building are always clean and well maintained. The security gate is nice because the campground is outside the perimeter of the base. The commissary and exchange are some of the biggest in this area and are about 2 miles away. The oceanfront is less than 6 miles away and metered parking is $1.00 per hour and lot parking is $5 to $10 per day. Metered parking near Rudee Inlet is free until 10:00 AM. Wal-Mart, Home Depot, and a lot of restaurants away from the oceanfront are 4 miles away.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 2

Comments

To write a comment please register or
Cron Job Starts