4.0 52
Virginia 128511
Jul 30- Aug 5, 2010
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

All in all a good value, but there are a few things that could be better. First let me say the directions were excellent and everyone was helpful. 1. Access to the Base is not well managed. There was no consistency in rules. Between the various installations in the area, and depending upon which guard is at the gates the rules changed. The Navy/Marine bases around Norfolk still want to see a "base sticker" on the car. My son, who is active duty stationed in Canada, does not have one. After getting a lot of run around, being issued several temporary passes, and having the vehicle "strip searched" twice, we were finally told by another visitor how to solve the problem. If you do not have a vehicle sticker, go to the vehicle registration office by gate 3 and get up to a week pass that will work at other locations as well. It would have saved a lot of problems if someone had told us to do that day one, or make that a part of the on line instructions. 2. The camp is very small entry, exit, and parking can be very difficult. The person next door had a large Ford 450 dully with a front end "rack" which really stuck out into the road. He was not present until two days after we arrived, so I had to back up between several trees and his truck. It took a lot of maneuvering and the neighbor across the road had to move his vehicle. Before I departed the neighbor came back, moved the truck, and all went well. It was unnecessarily difficult because he was allowed to leave his truck unattended blocking another site access. 3. I read several talking about the WiFi. We could not get it to work. 4. If it rains a lot there are several water issues. Again, all in all a good value and a great location. NEX and other facilities are great. If you need the Post Office, like I did, it has moved over by the Chapel. The CG is small and I recommend a recon, if possible, to pre-plan your site access. Once you enter the CG you can't turn around.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 2

Comments

To write a comment please register or