4.2 5
West Virginia 29687
May 1-6 2007
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

Sugar Grove NIOC is in the beautiful mountains of Eastern W.V. Sea Bee Park is on the base in a wooded area on the bank of the South Branch of the South Fork of the Potomoc River. The park has 3 FREE 20/30 amp/water hookup sites, no reservations. However, you need a small rig (20 ft or less trailer, or small motorhome or truck camper) to be able to get down the skinny road and maneuver through the trees to reach the sites. My husband and I travel in a 32ft 5th wheel, and we were unable to take advantage of the electric. We ended up dry camping in the lovely grass meadow which is also part of the park, and has no trees to worry about hitting. There are no sewage hookups or dump station, but you can dump at Brandywine Lake National Forest Campground, about 2 miles east of the town of Brandywine on US-33. We were able to run a long, long hose to reach one of the sites to get water during our stay. We came here on our way north just for the commissary - tiny, but has a great variety of items, although not too much of any one thing. We were able to buy most of the items that we are used to finding in the bigger commissaries. There is also a tiny PX, bowling alley, MWR/ITT with free computers to get on the internet, and a free car wash. The Pharmacy at the medical clinic will accept handwritten retiree prescriptions. These are sent to Bethesda to be filled - drop off by Wed, pick up on Fri of the following week (304-249-6380). There is also a Fitness Center and Trail, part of which runs thru Sea Bee Park, complete with exercise stations. My husband and i stayed here for 6 days in May 2007 and totally enjoyed ourselves. There were lots of birds in the park and on the rest of the base, including eastern bluebirds, baltimore orioles, northern yellow-shafted flickers (woodpeckers), and an osprey fishing in the Potomoc. There were also lots of wildflowers blooming - mayapples, dame's rockets, wild (red) columbine, white violets, and the common blue violets. There is also a hiking trail thru the woods, and plenty of paved shaded roads to walk or jog on. Call before coming to make sure there is an opening (run by the Auto Hobby Shop). This is by no means a destination resort, but if you happen to be near and need a quiet (no cell service!), relaxing place to stay, and want to stock up on the great prices at the commissary, then Sea Bee Park is for you!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or