4.2 81
Texas 140254
December 18 - 21, 2009
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

This is a fine campground for long or short stays. My first and best impression was of Mr. Wooley, the guy running the office--competent, friendly, and he answered all my questions about visiting San Antonio as well as providing appropriate maps and directions to the places we wanted to go, on base and off. All the premium FHU sites were taken, but there were plenty of water/electric only sites available. These sites are nicely leveled, pull-throughs with a gravel surface, but have no picnic tables and no grills, which might be nice to have. The bath house was modern, clean, and heated. The free laundry is a bonus, and the room is spacious, clean, and all the machines are fairly new and well-maintained. The campground's WIFI signal is pretty weak out in the non-premium sites, and provided only sporadic connection to the internet. Lucky for us we carry our own wifi hotspot with us. SPRINT Broadband Card users will get a good 3G EVDO signal. The one downside to this campground is the unceasing highway noise from US90/I-10 which permeates an otherwise tranquil setting. Of course you do get the occasional jet noise from Kelly Field, next door, but it's not constant like the highway sound. I'm sure that the longer you're here, the less you notice it, kinda like the chimes on our grandfather clock at home. For those of you over the age of 62, there is a particularly good transportation deal that the city of San Antonio offers. They have a wonderful bus and trolley system called VIA, which is a great way to get to and around the city. If you go to the central VIA Information office downtown, they will GIVE you a "Reduced Fare Card" which, on weekends reduces the fare to ZERO for seniors. On weekdays each bus ride will cost you twenty-five cents (and don't forget to ask for a transfer for route changes). We were there for the entire weekend, and the only money we spent for transportation was $1.10 (55 cents each) to take the bus from Lackland AFB to the downtown VIA office to get our card. The card is good for five years. No downtown driving or parking hassles. No fumbling for bus or trolley fares...just show the card to the driver. San Antonio takes good care of its seniors.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or