Texas 140250
25 Dec-Jan 25, 2013
(Updated: February 20, 2013)
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

In Jan of 2013 we stayed one month at Lackland AFB, San Antonio, TX, several issues were brought to the attention of the Outdoor Rec Director Lisa Muse, Bldg 871. On 7 January 2013, we met with Ms. Lisa Muse to discuss the current operation and management at the Lackland AFB Fam Camp. As an experienced traveler we primarily use the Military Fam Camps. This is the first operation where I’ve felt several issues needed to be addressed. My first course of action was to direct my concerns to the manager of the Fam Camp, Greg Wooley. I inquired information regarding the mini-van on site 18. It’s common to see card board covering the windows, where apparently a homeless veteran resides. His response was “it’s paid for I don’t care what sits there”. I was shocked by his response. The occupant of the mini-van occupies the site intended for an RV. Today 21 Jan 2013, while checking on my laundry I met the homeless veteran coming out of the men’s bathroom with a 5 gallon bucket. We had seen the gentleman on several occasions with the bucket and could only speculate its content. My suspicions were confirmed this individual is using the bucket as a bathroom in his mini-van. I’ll admit paying $400 a month for rent, free electric, free cable and free wifi, and free laundry facilities is a wonderful deal. But this Fam Camp was not intended to house the homeless; nor those veterans seeking to minimize their expenses. When in fact there were several motor coaches and RV's waiting to move into full hookup sites. One of the most desired necessities of any RV traveler is a full hookup site where water and sewage can be established. On 1 January 2013, I was bitten by an aggressive dog located at site 19. I stepped out of my RV and noticed a fellow RV’r needed a bag to pick up after his dog droppings. This is another issue that has gone without strict enforcement. I did not know the occupant had 4 dogs, and 2 of those dogs were on leads extending 20 ft or more. When I approached the back of the rig to take the doggy bag to the owner, the hound came around the rig and bit me. There was no warning the dog was tied to a lead extending far more than the limited 10ft. The dog did not break the skin, nor did I make a formal report to the MP’s. The incident was not witnessed by anyone. I insisted the gentleman take the bags and get his dogs under control. That was my ‘Welcome Packet’ to Lackland Air Force Base. No Fam Camp manager to report the incident to. There are only limited office hours to receive guests, no check-in packet or rules for review. We received an adding machine receipt as proof of payment. Granted, Mr. Wooley was on vacation at the time of our check in; but that person should have presented to us a copy of the Fam Camp rules and outlined the expectations as a guest. During our visit we have seen fellow RV’s, fight over a Fam Camp sites. We have watched individuals, park on an RV site and sleep in their POV during the night. Just to get the site they desired, while their RV is parked “on the grass” in the overflow area leaving ruts in the grass. During this overnight period the wife slept in the RV, while the husband held the site desired. Or other RV’s going to a parking lot on post for the required 24 hour absent period. Unlike many other Military Fam Camps, occupants are required to leave the post for a period of one week before returning. The maximum stay cannot exceed 180 days per year, and they are assigned a site when one is open. We desire the military Fam Camps for their security and the compliance of basic rules of common courtesy. When entering the military Fam Camps we have been greeted by a camp host or the camp manager. After the initial greeting, a map with the most basic list of rules is reviewed on-site with the visitor. Most individuals will abide by the common courtesy of picking up after their dogs, but sometimes it needs to be reinforced. At that time the manager will outline the expectations of a “designated dog walking area’ where all persons are intended to take their pets and pick up after them. This site is often marked and enforced. One rule of enforcement is if at least two fellow RV’r witness and report, the same dog owner not completing his chores of picking up after his dog, after three occurrences he or she is asked to leave the Fam Camp. I offered my suggestion of placing a sign and a bucket marked as a designated area for a dog walk. Wooley remarked, ‘they walk their dogs here and over there everywhere’ I would have buckets everywhere. Rule violation A1-9 pet clean up. I am discouraged due to the lack of enforcement of the basic military rules and common courtesy; I took my concerns higher to the Outdoor Rec Director Lisa Muse, on 7 January 2013. During our meeting with Ms Muse I repeated my concerns and made suggestions to resolve incidents at the Fam Camp. Her response was ‘Greg doesn’t like confrontation ’. She noted that Wooley did report incidents to her. Believing that Ms Muse would address our concerns we left feeling that something might be accomplished by our discussion. Apparently I was very wrong, today 21 January 2013 we now have a cargo trailer parked on a ‘full service RV site’. The soldier is in violation, IAW AF1 34-10 DOD I 1015.10, the soldier is using the cargo van as temporary housing. He is using no water, no sewage hookup. He is paying the $400 a month for “free cable, free wifi, free washer/dryer, and free electric and shower”. Plus the owners of the aggressive dogs have been allowed to return to the Fam Camp and are now parked within 40 feet of our RV. I have already witnessed the violation of A1-9 ref: pet clean up. Plus the apparent homeless veteran left for his mandatory 24 hour period and returned to his same site over the weekend, and this time has brought his dog with him for company. Known violators should not be allowed back into the Fam Camp, but it is apparent that military rules and regulations have no merit here. I made the suggestion of a Fam Camp Host, at Lackland to Ms Muse. The idea was immediately dismissed. The position and duties of a Camp Host is to greet campers during weekends and after hour arrivals. During our travels it is common to be greeted by a Camp Host at military Fam Camps. The position is not a paid position but a reduction of lot and facility rent. A Fam Camp host is needed badly at Lackland. Camp operations need to comply with the rules and basic operations of other Military Fam Camps such as Fort Bliss, TX or Fort Sam Houston, Fort Rucker, AL etc. Ms Muse expressed concern over not being able to fill Lackland AFB Fam Camp during the off season. This can easily be addressed. Fort Sam Houston receives many more calls for reservation, during the year due to it being a hospital facility. Lackland AFB Fam Camp along with Fort Sam Houston as a joint facility can now redirect inquiries to Lackland Fam Camp. Such request for RV accommodation can be forward to Lackland Fam Camp, to assist our Veterans families by having a safe and affordable place to stay while their loved one are hospitalized. When we called Fort Sam Houston there was no mention of coming to, or checking at Lackland AFB for an open site. This could easily be changed to continually fill Lackland during the off season. We visited Fort Sam Houston the first item we received was a copy of the park rules, and they continued to highlight items and the parks amenities. The purpose of this letter is to encourage a review and compliance of regulation of the Lackland AFB, Fam Camp. As of today, Monday, January 21th , aside from the aggressive dogs, and apparent homeless veteran we have witness vehicles parking anywhere on the grass. RV’s and cars being washed on site, persons using the washer/dryer facilities at 0100 hours or later, and children with full run of the Fam Camp and the laundry room facilities’ without supervision. Plus a fifth wheel trailer and truck drive through the grass leaving ruts at site one, a back in site. And a violation of article A1-14, cigarette butts outside the office and laundry. Having been accustomed to military order of rules and regulations this Fam Camp does not meet the a higher standard and expectation of other Fam Camps. This Fam Camp is not in compliance to its own rules, and regulations and military standards.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 5 18

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
To write a comment please register or
August 23, 2014
Did you ever have a chance to have fun during your visit?
1 results - showing 1 - 1