3.8 64
California 232328
19 April - 03 May 2009
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

We just returned from two weeks on the beach at Del Mar, one week while I did some reserve duty, a few days hangin' with the wee ones in the sand, with drill weekend on the end. By far the best and cheapest beach front in SoCal. It's our second trip there, first being a quick overnighter on the first row about a month ago. Spring starts getting busy and although I was on the second row this time, I was on that row all by myself! and during the week I had awesome views of the beach and ocean. Maybe a dozen rigs total spread out over the CG. The weekends, however, were completely insane. I'd go to work Friday and come "home" to a totally different and packed beach. Everyone seemed to respect the quiet hours at 2200, but the only downside was the thick smoke created by all the fire pit rings in the second and third rows, comes right in the trailer, due to placement of pits vis-a-vis the RV sites and prevailing winds. It would've been nicer if our upwind neighbors would've doused their fire with water or sand when turning in for the night. (I snuck out and finally did it myself!) The first row doesn't have that problem, so if you get a spot there, you're fine. I never used bathroom/shower facilities, but did a walk through. Nothing fancy but seemed okay. Laundry was further down the beach where the day visitors hang out, in between camp sites and cabins, and there's a playground on the beach near the cabins. Staff was perfectly nice, even the evening security guards (young Marines wanting additional income) were pretty knowledgeable. I wish they had WiFi - wouldn't matter for a weekend trip but for two weeks or, like some of my during-the-week neighbors, four weeks!, it would be nice for taking care of business, paying bills, etc. Overall, a great trip on a great beach!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or