Review Detail

3.9 39
Feb 2016
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

We were going to be in FL in Feb and just happened to check to see if any of the 4 sites were available while we were in FL. We got lucky and got site 2 for 4 nights. Marathon is a great central location for visiting the keys. We got a FL state park pass and spent a lot of time visiting the state parks nearby. Our neighbor in site 3 mentioned that FL provides free lifetime state park entry passes to Veterans with a service connected disability, and I happened to have a copy of my VA letter on my phone, so we got one the next day and that gave us free access to visit the state parks. Key West is only an hour away so it's an easy day trip. You definitely need to be self contained since there are no restrooms available, but they do have full hookups. They do have a free washer and dryer next to the cabins, and we had no problems with using them when we wanted to. I was concerned about the gate entry procedure but it turned out to be fast and easy. I called the caretaker number a couple hours before we arrived and Rick met us, showed us our site, and got our paperwork completed. You still have to call a phone umber when you arrive at the gate for entry, but the number is posted at the gate, and we just gave our name and site number and they opened the gate electronically with no delay. The site was plenty large for our 16' Scamp and Dakota pickup, plus our 9X12 screen room. We enjoyed the location and would definitely come back.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 5 1

Comments

2 results - showing 1 - 2
Ordering
To write a comment please register or
December 29, 2016
I think the disability is for FL residents only. I am 100% DAV from NC and have never been able to anything from any of the FL State Parks.
December 29, 2016
After reading your review for Marathon and not believing that the state of FL would give a pass to a nonresident I took a chance and drove down to Curry Hamock. You were absolutely correct. They require VA letter that states 100% disabled, in my case they tool my ID card that states DAV PERM, pass is a lifetime pass. Still have to be a FL resident for a camping discount. Thanks very much for the good info. Now if someone will approve space A travel we'll be set.
2 results - showing 1 - 2