Mississippi 58219
26 Feb 2013
(Updated: July 02, 2014)
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

Just visited Camp Shelby Fam Camp. There is little I can say that hasn't already been said in the previous comments. If you 'do the math' you will find the Fam Camp is bringing in over $88,000 dollars a year for 37 sites. Minus the cost of mowing, and electricty. We found the Fam Camp sitting on a beautiful pond like setting. Military Fam Camp, on one shore and on the other several beautiful cabins. I will have so much more to add to this review. The Fam Camp is under very poor management. We talked with Perry S Conerly, he acknowledge himself as the person who accepts reservations for the Fam Camp. Like others we asked if there was anything available. He said no, I inquired when will there be something available. He looked to the side of the room as if looking at a site management board. He told us he didn't know when there would be anything. I asked for his name and phone to call back for a reservation. I doubt that it will do any good to call; but I intend to call and continue to call until I'm told that something is available. We didn't tell the gentleman that we had aready drove through the camp and saw the overall conditions. I ask Conerly why the camp was so full, he stated there was little available housing on post. Wrong!!!! With all the barracks on post there is more than enough room and I reseached the area and there are 10 commerical and state park campgrounds within 30 miles of the post. More than enough space for those persons who desire to maintain a more permant living situation. They are called 'homesteaders', the military is aware of the regulation reguarding 'homesteaders' they wrote them! We saw no Class A units on site. All of the units on site were trailers and 5th wheel trailers. Why move, what is the saying? Why buy the cow, when you can get the milk for free. You name it and it was sitting outside, everything from patio furiture to freezers and such. The management should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this Fam Camp to get in this condition. With the money made from Fam Camp each year build another Fam Camp for the retirees who want to travel through. Until we all step up and express our views to those that count nothing will get changed. I plan on making a formal complaint to the persons in charge of Outdoor Recreation and higher. This could be a beautiful Fam Camp if properly managed. Take my lead and help reform this Fam Camp and others we might find. It only takes a phone call to find out who is in charge. Make the letter's or emails positive. Point out your observation and ask they be addressed. The contact number for the Fam Camp is (601) 558-2397 Perry S Conerly, manager. Ask for his supervisor, get that phone number and address and pass it on. Then ask for the persons name over that supervisor. Then starting writing letters. With your help, emails & letters we can make a difference. Camp Shelby has so much to offer, lets get busy and take that first step toward making Lake Walker Family Campground, Fam Camp a new destination.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 14 12

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
To write a comment please register or
August 19, 2014
I just called this number (601) 558-2397 but I did not get the persons name but she said there is currently eight spots available for RV at the campground.
1 results - showing 1 - 1