3.1 24
Mississippi 58216
November 2014
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

In the past this campground has received bad reviews. Perceptions of homesteading here were prevalent but I think many of the sites were occupied by activated troops here for training. IMHO, active duty/active guard troops that came here for the mission should have had priority, and although there may still be a few longer-term campers here, now that the base's mission has subsided, many of the spots are open for use. The base has a fantastic military museum that should not be missed if here. There is also a very nice all ranks club located not far from the campground that has decent food and reasonable prices. The lake offers fishing and boat rentals, but there is no swim beach and swimming is prohibited. Bring some fire ant treatment (I used the cheap (under $4/bag) Spectracide granules that worked fine) but they weren't that bad while I was here. People are friendly and the campground remains a great value.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 5 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
To write a comment please register or
December 19, 2014
I've tried a couple of times to find this FamCamp and wasn't successful...BUT there is an excellent Mississippi State Park - Paul B. Johnson - very near Camp Shelby. So if you are ever in the Hattiesburg area and need a stopover with swimming and no fire ants try the state park.
1 results - showing 1 - 1