Review Detail

4.0 70
19-20 April 2010
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

Follow the directions carefully as the area adjacent to Maxwell is under construction. Base is guarded by Air Force SP's who provide a map and directions. Camp is on far west side of the base, adjacent to golf course and running track. Outdoor activities abound, although BX and Commissary will require a vehicle as they are about 2-3 miles back to the main part of the base. Very helpful camp host. Arrived mid afternoon and camp was 100% sold out, but there were four overflow sites (no sewer) and we got the last one! Most sites were back in, and about half the camp had little or no tree cover so rooftop satellite dishes work well. Plenty of local TV channels with an antenna are available. No wi-fi, but Verizon 3G card works fine. Camp Manager said half of the camp sites are reserved for students who attend one of several schools - Squadron Officer School, Air Command & Staff, and Air War College, and a few others. These are virtually always sold out except for between school times. The other half is your basic FamCamp for retirees, TDY's, military on leave, and a handful of assigned personnel awaiting housing. Because the camp allows all eligible users to make reservations up to a year in advance, and its central location on I-65 & I-85 the camp stays near sold out all the time. Wise to always make a reservation. Will definitely stay here again. Lots of good facilities on base, although the usual local stuff - fast foods, shopping, etc., are several miles away on I-65 & US-231.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or