3.8 89
California 164103
August 2018
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

I have stayed at Pt Mugu several times in the past and generally love the park. This time was a little different, and it does seem to be going downhill. On the positive side, the location is above par and the views can't be beat. The area is great and the overall experience is worth it. All employee interactions were great and nothing negative to say about their work ethic. On the negative side, I think the price for a full-hook up site is pretty high at $40 per night, but for a short term stay is is OK. The 50 amp back-in sites (there are no pull-throughs), which is what I reserved through the Navy Getaways website, are adequate for size and accessibility, however upon arrival to the park I learned that many of the 50 amp sites have the sewer shut down due to maintenance issues and won't be available until sometime in 2019. They still charge $40 a night, and several of the sites that were supposedly affected had rigs in there with the sewer hooked up, so it is either a "who you know" situation or there is some other reason that some people can have sewer and others can't, but it sure creates an impression of favoritism. I was put into another area (near the tenting area) that did have 50 amp and sewer, however it is just an asphalt parking lot with stripes and hookups near the end of the parking lot. I did get the services I reserved (50 amp, back in, full hookup) however I literally had another trailer less that 1' from my living room window on the last night we stayed. They were interested in drinking and raising a ruckus until about 3 AM, with their windows open, so while they were technically inside and not in the common areas, it was a disturbance for part of the stay. On a previous visit I elected to stay in a smaller 30amp site, however due to the backlog of maintenance on the power service the circuit breakers kept tripping under light load. That required a move to another site so that was a pain. The WiFi was nowhere near reliable, and in Navy parks the system is pretty wonky, so I usually don't rely on it. MWR does have a brand new building at the park, and it seems the employees have a nice place to work--I believe that is an indicator of the attitude toward the park itself. I think the patron experience should take priority as they are paying the bills, so the improvement funds should have gone into the camping facilities rather that the MWR employee area. This park has the potential to become a great place to stay, but I think they're trading location for service to the customer and figuring the customer will put up with less in exchange for the views. I don't think I'll return, at least until the utilities situation is resolved.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 4 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or