3.7 34
California 101472
6-9 August 2020
Overall rating

Cleanliness/Hospitality

Amenities/Facilities

Value

Overall Experience

I avoided Lake Oneil previously based on horrible reviews. It's actually a nice campground, very clean bathroom facilities, a nice lake you can rent boats or launch your own boat on (5 mph speed limit). They have full hook up sites, sites with water and electric only, dry camping sites, and tent camping sites. Lots of the sites have awesome shade.. Staff was nice but the check-in building has the road away from it blocked-I'm glad I sent my wife in our TOAD around the lake to check in- my 38' motorhome with the toad attached NEVER would have been able to turn around! All the sites were reasonably level EXCEPT 19-33. 19 has a mild slope but by the time you get to 33 it's a ridiculous asphalt slope-I'm guessing a 2 foot elevation drop in 35 feet. We were in 31 and to get level would require all 4 tires on my rear axle to be almost 5 inches in the air with hydraulics barely touching the ground by the front tires. I elected to camp walking on a slope in my coach rather than risk having NO parking brake while camped on a slope that's sloped towards a lake! I would stay in all the other campsites at Lake Oneil but we will never camp in 19-33 again. Lake Oneil is 15 minutes from the main gate complexes with MCX, commissary, liquor store and tons of shopping. But if you turn LEFT on Vandergrife coming out of the campground there is a HUGE "mini market" that has most everything about 5 minutes up the road on the left. The impact range for the Marines practicing shooting artillery is close enough to be fairly loud-since we consider these sounds, and the sounds of helicopters and Ospreys recovering to the MCAS airfield a couple miles away to be the sounds of FREEDOM they didn't bother us-but they are noisy!! Enjoy your stay here!!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 7 1

Comments

To write a comment please register or