An area for new users to tell us about yourself. Welcome!

Retire Feb. 2017

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #14900 by Ruth3612
Retire Feb. 2017 was created by Ruth3612
My husband retired from the USAF 2004. He has been working in the civilian sector with plans to retire early 2017. Friends have encouraged us to do the "RV thing" in stead of buying a home in San Diego CA-love the weather but $$$. We have never RV'd but the freedom sounds appealing. So many questions such as which motor home is the best for two people, should we rent first, where to buy, best resources for potential novice etc.,etc.
Would love to hear from the experienced!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #14908 by LamSan
Replied by LamSan on topic Retire Feb. 2017
A good place to start would be with the friends who encouraged you to do the "RV thing". Hopefully they are experienced in the world of RV travels and can answer many questions. The first thing you need to decide is what type of RV you want to travel in and you might consider renting and try them out for several days or more to see how you feel in the RV. We started out with an 18' travel trailer in 99' and worked our way through several Class A's, 31' to 39', gas and then diesel and in 07' bought a 45' diesel pusher and recently traded that one in for a 2013 Allegro Bus 45LP. You might want to take some tours of RV manufacturing plants and talk to anyone there also visiting as they will be honest with you about their RV likes and dislikes. If you rent first and you spend time in an RV park talk to folks there also as they will tell you their likes and dislikes also. We are firm Tiffin buyers so are biased as our last three RV's have been Tiffin made. Another suggestion would be look for RV shows in your area and you will have all types of RV's by most manufacturers to look at and pick up brochures of the RV's you think might work for you. I remember when we first started RVing we each made a list of what was important to us and that does change over time but it is a good place to start. Good luck and believe me when I say this; it is a wonderful way to see our great country and the people you meet will bring so much joy and laughter and wackiness to your life and you will feel many times like a kid again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.448 seconds